Ginger Fizz Syrup
Adapted from “Sacramental Magic in a Small Town Café”
By Brother Peter Reinhart
- 11 cups water
- 5 ½ cups honey
- 1 lb. unpeeled ginger, cut into ¼ inch thick pieces
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice, strained
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice, strained
|The amount of honey called for in the original recipe makes the syrup too sweet for me, so I cut it back to 2-3 cups.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Toss in the sliced ginger, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the honey and steep for an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir, strain out the ginger and add the lemon & lime juices.
- Let the syrup cool and store in the refrigerator.
- You can dilute this with cool water, selzer or hot water.
It’s also great to sweeten regular or herbal iced tea—it rocks with anything mango.